We all get told a million things before we start having kids. People are very quick to give advice and tell you how great it is being a mother. And then there are things that happen or feelings that you have that no one warned you about. Some of these things are you not even sure if other mothers have experienced the same thing. Being a mom is the most important job I will ever hold. I have the blessing of molding these little people into who they will become. And there are so many things that have happened or happening that I was never prepared for. I have made a list of 13, because 10 is for wuses and 15 for overachievers. I am sure that there may be some I am missing, please feel free to add more in the comments.
1. Sleep when the baby sleeps… LOL! Um.. unless you never want your laundry done you are never going to sleep when the baby sleeps. In fact you are never going to sleep again. By the time the child is sleeping all the way thru the night, you get the crazy idea to have another child. And after that one sleeps thru the night it takes a few years to get a good sleeping pattern back. Then you have preteens and teen agers and now you can’t sleep because well you have a teen ager and that opens a whole new side of worry you never knew existed.
2. Your bladder is never the same, meaning every time you start jogging or doing a jumping jack you are going to pee on yourself.
3. You will never have a plate of food or drink of anything to yourself, EVER.
4. The perfect date night will turn into you falling asleep at the movies until you finally get smart enough to realize the perfect date night is a nap. And maybe a meal at a restaurant that doesn’t have a kids menu.
5. For the first time you start regretting your tattoo, or piercing, or insert anything you did to yourself if your 20s that up until this moment seemed like a great idea.
6. You will never use the restroom and or take a shower without at least one visitor in the bathroom. Seriously, I read a two year old a book from the toilet yesterday.
7. Everyone who is single, or just without children looks like they are 12.
8. You know, and I mean you KNOW your child(ren) is(are) this most beautiful child(ren) in the world. I KNOW mine are, really just look at them.
9. For whatever reason, when in the company of 2 or more other mothers everyone’s labor story will be told.
10. You may be faint when you see blood, or maybe you have an awesome gag reflex when you see throw up. When it is your child’s blood or throw up you seem to be ok. And on that subject, the amount of boogers you pick and poop you clean up is more than you will ever care to admit.
11. You will eat and do gross things, and not even think about it. All I am saying is there will be a time you are cleaning up dinner and you will realize you didn’t eat dinner, oh wait you didn’t eat lunch either… hmmm you can’t remember the last time you ate. And that half chicken tender that is sticking out of apple sauce looks delicious. You take a look around, and you WILL eat it.
12. You will double guess and feel guilty about every big decision and a lot of small ones. Did you pick the right school, when do you have the sex conversation, do they watch too much TV……
13. You hear that you will never understand the love a mother has for her child until you have one, and that is true. But no one tells you that it’s a love that fills up your heart so much if you think about it you think your heart could literally explode. These little people that are yours, that are the most beautiful people in the world make you feel so tiny yet more significant than you ever thought you would be. It is so overwhelming yet you can wrap your arms around your duty as a mother with such pride.